So this is a second try of the Merckwaerdigh Triangle Bralette for myself. (You can ready about the first try here.) I reduced the volume at the apex by 1/4″ and graduated to 0″ on both ends. I added a bit of height and width to the triangle pieces so it provides more coverage. The verdict? Still a bit too voluminous in the over bust area. Hopefully the next one will fit perfectly after I make an adjustment to the pattern.
Did you know that Merckwaerdigh now offers PDF Lingerie Patterns in her Etsy Shop? I recently brought and downloaded the Triangle Bralette Bikini Pattern found here. I made the XS and used elastics for the bra band and straps instead of using the pattern pieces that came with the pattern.
For sizing reference, I’m about a 30AA/30AAA. I can still pinch out extra volume at the princess seams, so I think the XS will be a good fit for ladies who are about a 30A-32A. I also don’t think that the XS cups offer enough coverage (it’s pretty skimpy)…I will probably add more height and width to the pattern pieces for the next iteration.
Front bra closures! How do we feel about them? Personally, I think this will probably be the first and last time I will install a front bra closure for my personal projects. It looks okay flat, but I don’t like how it looks on the body. What are your thoughts?
The matching hipster pantie is a free underwear pattern by Make Bra. For such a dainty bralette, I was tempted to make a matching bottom in a dainty silhouette (think a thong or a tanga). I don’t really like to wear thongs or tangas and much prefer the coverage that hipsters, bikinis, or boy shorts provide, so I decided to try the hipster pantie.
And I have to say, this hipster pattern is the real MVP! The fit is spot on and the cut is flattering. The only changes I made was to grade it down to a XS (pattern is sized S-L), maintain the Size Small front and back rise and then I was off to the races. I have made a total of five hipster panties as of this posting (!).
Happy Monday! I am really excited to announce that I’ve added these sewing themed zip pouches to my shop. They measure 9.25″ x 5.5″ and will comfortably carry your sewing supplies (including 8-in Gingher scissors with its guard). They can also be used to carry make-up, pens & pencils, or travel essentials. Click here to shop.
They come in two colors: black and natural with 5 zipper color options each. They are the perfect addition to your sewing arsenal and an excellent gift for anyone who sews.
Honestly, who can’t use more sewing paraphernalia? 🙂
I am giving away a “Sewing Notions” Pouch on Instagram! Head to Instagram to enter this giveaway. The giveaway will end next Monday April 4th, 11:59 EST. Good luck!
A partial band bra has been on my to-do list since I watched the chapter on partial band conversion in Beverly Johnson’s Sewing Bras: Designer Techniques Class on Craftsy.
In terms of personal aesthetics, I love partial bands on underwire bras. It makes the bra look more delicate and pretty in my opinion.
The mint lace I used for this bra is available in the form of a bra kit in my shop. The photos don’t do the lace justice–it’s a really pretty mint. The cups and the cradle are lined with bra tulle and the band in stretch mesh. The pattern used is Orange Lingerie’s Marlborough Bra.
So what do you think? Do you personally prefer full band or partial band on underwire bras? Share in the comments below.
The Maya Bra is free pattern offered by Ana of AFI. It is an underwire style with a 3-piece cup and sweetheart neckline. I don’t wear underwire bras, but I really enjoy making them. I’ve been meaning to make a Maya Bra since its release, but only got around to doing it now. Better late than never, right? 😛
I cut a 32C. I can’t comment on sizing until the recipient tries on the bra, but for reference she wears a 32C in the Watson Bra and a 32C in the Marlborough Bra with 1/2″ added to the back band.
Due to the fabric’s beautiful and unique print, I thought it would be really neat if I made matching hook and eyes for this bra. The result looks pretty good, but I think the floral charmeuse is too flimsy and will probably tear in a couple of wears. I will try it again with a stronger fabric.
If anyone is interested in how to make their own bra hook and eye, I can release a pattern and tutorial. Let me know. 🙂
Quick sewing dump update: I made a plum Watson Bra and some undies!
Recently I decided to try my hand at making underwear. These two pairs are my fourth and fifth ones. I have to say, making panties is pretty addicting because it’s instantly gratifying. Pattern for these undies are self-drafted. I will be sharing the pattern in a coming post!