Did you know that Merckwaerdigh now offers PDF Lingerie Patterns in her Etsy Shop? I recently brought and downloaded the Triangle Bralette Bikini Pattern found here. I made the XS and used elastics for the bra band and straps instead of using the pattern pieces that came with the pattern.
For sizing reference, I’m about a 30AA/30AAA. I can still pinch out extra volume at the princess seams, so I think the XS will be a good fit for ladies who are about a 30A-32A. I also don’t think that the XS cups offer enough coverage (it’s pretty skimpy)…I will probably add more height and width to the pattern pieces for the next iteration.
Front bra closures! How do we feel about them? Personally, I think this will probably be the first and last time I will install a front bra closure for my personal projects. It looks okay flat, but I don’t like how it looks on the body. What are your thoughts?
The matching hipster pantie is a free underwear pattern by Make Bra. For such a dainty bralette, I was tempted to make a matching bottom in a dainty silhouette (think a thong or a tanga). I don’t really like to wear thongs or tangas and much prefer the coverage that hipsters, bikinis, or boy shorts provide, so I decided to try the hipster pantie.
And I have to say, this hipster pattern is the real MVP! The fit is spot on and the cut is flattering. The only changes I made was to grade it down to a XS (pattern is sized S-L), maintain the Size Small front and back rise and then I was off to the races. I have made a total of five hipster panties as of this posting (!).
So Maddie kindly sent me a copy of her awesome bra pattern Sierra–thanks Maddie!–and I got the chance to make it up last night. It’s a really quick project and I have no doubt it will look good in a lot of fabric and laces! Expect lots of Sierras in the near future. 🙂
The Watson Bra is the ideal quickie project when you’re looking to whip up a bra with minimal fuss. Here’s one in cream with aqua details that I made quickly for a co-worker who is leaving. Best of luck, C!
Once upon a time, my coworker made this awesome layered skull necklace. She wore it to work a couple of times and made a number of colleagues (myself included) extremely covetous of it. A while back, I asked her if she could show me where to buy the materials and if I could knock it off. She said yes on both accounts. 🙂
Here’s a quick weekend update with my latest bra project: a Marlborough Bra in Black and Silver Lace with Lilac accents. For this particular Marlborough, I adjusted the style lines of the cup. I eliminated the power bar and created a horizontal cup seam with split lower cups.
What do you think of this adjustment? Share in the comments below.
I took a long hiatus from my blog, because I was no longer sure about the content I was generating. It took a while, but I think I now know what direction I want to take this blog. In the coming weeks, you will definitely see a marked shift from a fashion blog to one focusing on the development of a core style with a strong DIY flavor.
Construction for this bralette style is very straight forward (made even easier by the fact that I eliminated the longline band). Unlike the original instructions, I opted to finish the top and bottom edges using fold-over elastic. I did not trim away any allowance before applying the fold-over elastic, so the bra has more coverage.
The only issue I ran into with this style is getting the side seams to lay flat on the body when worn. The side seams are stabilized with channeling, as instructed by the pattern so I’m not sure if it is a sewing issue or if the side seam needs more support in the form of soft boning.
If you have any ideas on how to get the side seams to lay flatter on the body, I would love to hear your suggestions.
As mentioned in this post, I will be making a lot of Marlborough Bras in the coming weeks. This one is a belated birthday gift for my co-worker. Her favorite color is purple so I dyed the elastics in that color to use as a pop of color against the black lace.
Sizing: I cut a 34A for her. Her measurements are as follow:
The bra ended up fitting perfectly with no adjustments needed.
For more coverage, I lined the bra with black stretch mesh. I will probably be lining all lacy bras in the future. It makes the finishing much more clean.
Confession: This is actually the third bra that I’ve made. The first two will probably never see the light of day on the Internet because the sewing is pretty embarrassing. With that said, I present you the Marlborough Bra in plum.
The Marlborough Bra is designed and drafted by Norma of Orange Lingerie (a custom bra and lingerie business). This is my first time sewing this particular style and I’m in love with it. The cut is is what I look for in an everyday bra. The style lines make it really fun to experiment with different materials. I will probably be making a lot of Marlborough Bras in the coming weeks (spoiler alert!).
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.