DIY: Mallori Lane in Black and Silver

May 25, 2015


I took a long hiatus from my blog, because I was no longer sure about the content I was generating. It took a while, but I think I now know what direction I want to take this blog. In the coming weeks, you will definitely see a marked shift from a fashion blog to one focusing on the development of a core style with a strong DIY flavor. 

Madalynne Mallori Lane Bra Black Silver DIY Bra-MakingIf you follow me on Instagram, you probably know that I’ve made quite a few Marlborough Bras and Watson Bras by now. I was ready to try a new bra(lette) style and Madalynne‘s release of her Mallori Lane Bralette pattern could not have been more perfectly timed!

Construction for this bralette style is very straight forward (made even easier by the fact that I eliminated the longline band). Unlike the original instructions, I opted to finish the top and bottom edges using fold-over elastic. I did not trim away any allowance before applying the fold-over elastic, so the bra has more coverage.

Madalynne Mallori Lane Bra Black Silver DIY Bra-Making

The only issue I ran into with this style is getting the side seams to lay flat on the body when worn. The side seams are stabilized with channeling, as instructed by the pattern so I’m not sure if it is a sewing issue or if the side seam needs more support in the form of soft boning.

If you have any ideas on how to get the side seams to lay flatter on the body, I would love to hear your suggestions.


Bra Pattern: Mallori Lane by Madalynne (free downloadable pattern)

Fabric (Self): Black & Silver Lace from my shop (coming soon!)

Fabric (Lining): Power Net from Merckwaerdigh

Elastics (Shoulder Straps): Shindo Elastic from my shop (coming soon!)

Elastics (Back Straps): Satin Elastic from Vardhmam Inc.

Elastics (Top Edge & Bottom Edge): Foldover Elastic from Daytona Trimmings

Hardware: Silver Rings & Sliders from my shop (coming soon!)

Other Notions: Channeling (used to stabilize side seams) from Pacific Trimming


  • Maddie Flanigan

    May 25, 2015 at 7:19 PM

    Looks awesome and thanks for giving it a try! I added channeling to mine (no boning) and it lays flat.

    1. tailormadeblog

      May 25, 2015 at 10:36 PM

      I added channeling too, but mine is stretchy so it may have affected the way the side seams lay on the body. A few ladies over at the BraMaking Facebook Group have suggested that I add soft boning. I will probably give that a try in the next iteration.

      Thanks for sharing the pattern!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Prev Post Next Post