Also, don’t forget to take the Tailor Made Shop 2016 Feedback Survey. If you have five minutes, please complete the survey and receive a 10% discount for your time! Click here to take the survey. Thank you! <3
Hi guys, today I have a pattern review. I’ve been admiring Evie la Lùve’s patterns for a while: they’re modern and chic and designed by someone who has a great eye for fashion. I love how she sews up colorful and fun samples of her patterns and showcases them. You can find her work here.
My favorite thing about this pattern? Vertical cup seams! I think this is currently one of the few vertical cup seam underwire bras out there. I actually really like the look of vertical cup seams and this pattern is really great for laces with scallop edges.
I’ve also received a number of queries on whether or not I will be offering bra kits for Pattern 8229. My regular underwire bra kits will actually work with this pattern! Look for kits with wider laces (8″+) and ask for a 3×3 hook & eye during checkout. For smaller sizes, you can also use kits with 6.5″ – 7″ laces.
Hi guys, I can’t believe it’s been over a month since I’ve sewn something! I have a backlog of cutwork to go through still, but I’m taking a moment today to share photos of my recently finished off-white/black balconette bralette with lace racerback detail.
I’ve made a couple of this self-drafted balconette bralette and I find myself reaching for this style the most on a daily basis. I figured it couldn’t hurt to make more of them. It’s not hoarding (I think). It’s called stocking up on staples. ;D
To change things up a bit, I opted to add the lace racerback detail a la Ohhh LuLu’s Jasmine Bra found here. I used her instructions to create and construct the racerback detail. I think this detail is really cool, but unfortunately it just does not look that great on me. My frame and shoulders are quite broad for my bust measurement and the racerback detail only emphasizes that. I’d definitely use this detail again when I sew for others, but I don’t think I’ll be using it again for myself.
Also! I was in Maddie‘s studio this past weekend to help her teach her bra making workshop, so I took advantage of her studio’s amazing lighting to take photos of this bralette on the dress form and on the hanger. Here are a couple more artistic (ha!) shots of the bralette against a warehouse setting.
Hi guys, I’m back today with a dropped bridge underwire bra. As previously mentioned, I personally do not wear underwire bras but I find them technically challenging and I always learn new bra making techniques sewing them so I like making them for my friends and family.
I am all about itty bitty thin straps and narrow bands, but that’s not always possible when you make bras for larger cup sizes. This particular bra is a 32DD. I started with the Marlborough Bra Pattern and kind of pattern hacked it to the point of beyond recognition.
Here are some techniques I got to try with this bra:
Sewing and drafting a dropped bridge
Adding a back strap extension
Giving foldover elastic another try
So my ability to sew foldover elastic is hilariously bad, but I’ve always admired Erin‘s application of FOE on her bra projects (see gorgeous exhibits here, here, and here) and was inspired to give FOE another try. The FOE application is somewhat atrocious for this bra, but I can feel myself improving even after this one project so you may see more FOE in future bra projects!
I also tried a new technique to reinforce the bra hook and eye to the bra. I normally sew the bra hook and eye on with a straight stitch. This time, I also reinforced it by using the zig zag stitch and setting the stitch length to 0 and width to 2.5 to create this bar tack effect. It looks clean and professionally finished, so I think I might do this with all my bra hook and eyes form now on.
Everyone has a favorite bra style and this triangle bralette is mine: it has sharp angles, clean lines, thin straps and a tiny band.
This is a self-drafted pattern. The first iteration can be found here.
For this version, I used a teal satin back crepe, which has the tiniest mechanical give. I also used a black chantilly lace to accent the teal color. I’ve been obsessed with the black/teal combo since I made the Peridot Bralette and Bryony Knickers set found here.
Due to the thickness of the fabric, I opted for a 3/4″ wide band instead of 1/2″. A tutorial on how to create a narrow elastic casing for the bra band is coming soon. Stay tuned!
One of the things I love about bra making is that you need very little material to make a bra or a bralette. I only have 2 YDS of this pale blue galloon lace that’s 5″ wide and I managed to get 2 bralettes and 1 bra out of it. (Of course, it helps that I’m on the smaller side.)
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.