Have you heard? Maddie of www.madalynne.com has teamed up with Simplicity Patterns to release two bra patterns! One is an underwire bra with vertical cup seams and the other is a soft bra pattern with two styles: a halter bralette and a racer back bralette.
The patterns will officially be out around early August, but you can preorder both patterns with Tailor Made Shop now!
****PLEASE READ CAREFULLY REGARDING THE PRE-ORDER PROCESS****
I personally adore Madalynne x Simplicity Pattern 8828, which is the soft bra pattern. I whipped up both view A and view B this past week and I’ve also assembled bra kits for sale with this pattern! You can shop the bra kits here and here.
More Madalynne x Simplicity 8828 Bralette Kits will be released during the week, stay tuned!
Hi guys, I’m back today with a dropped bridge underwire bra. As previously mentioned, I personally do not wear underwire bras but I find them technically challenging and I always learn new bra making techniques sewing them so I like making them for my friends and family.
I am all about itty bitty thin straps and narrow bands, but that’s not always possible when you make bras for larger cup sizes. This particular bra is a 32DD. I started with the Marlborough Bra Pattern and kind of pattern hacked it to the point of beyond recognition.
Here are some techniques I got to try with this bra:
Sewing and drafting a dropped bridge
Adding a back strap extension
Giving foldover elastic another try
So my ability to sew foldover elastic is hilariously bad, but I’ve always admired Erin‘s application of FOE on her bra projects (see gorgeous exhibits here, here, and here) and was inspired to give FOE another try. The FOE application is somewhat atrocious for this bra, but I can feel myself improving even after this one project so you may see more FOE in future bra projects!
I also tried a new technique to reinforce the bra hook and eye to the bra. I normally sew the bra hook and eye on with a straight stitch. This time, I also reinforced it by using the zig zag stitch and setting the stitch length to 0 and width to 2.5 to create this bar tack effect. It looks clean and professionally finished, so I think I might do this with all my bra hook and eyes form now on.
Hi guys! In the spirit of summer, I’ve assembled a couple of swimwear kits for pre-sale. I’ve listed these kits one day early. They will be available for pre-sale from today through July 15th, 2016 only. They will be shipped between July 18th-20th.
Everyone has a favorite bra style and this triangle bralette is mine: it has sharp angles, clean lines, thin straps and a tiny band.
This is a self-drafted pattern. The first iteration can be found here.
For this version, I used a teal satin back crepe, which has the tiniest mechanical give. I also used a black chantilly lace to accent the teal color. I’ve been obsessed with the black/teal combo since I made the Peridot Bralette and Bryony Knickers set found here.
Due to the thickness of the fabric, I opted for a 3/4″ wide band instead of 1/2″. A tutorial on how to create a narrow elastic casing for the bra band is coming soon. Stay tuned!
One of the things I love about bra making is that you need very little material to make a bra or a bralette. I only have 2 YDS of this pale blue galloon lace that’s 5″ wide and I managed to get 2 bralettes and 1 bra out of it. (Of course, it helps that I’m on the smaller side.)
Today’s post features a self-drafted triangle bralette made from a poly floral charmeuse fabric. There were a number of new techniques that I wanted to try out and I kept that in mind while drafting the pattern.
For one, I had been wanting to make thin spaghetti bra straps. I don’t normally make my own bra straps since I have nice strapping elastics in my stash, but this floral fabric has a fantastic print and I wanted to use as much of it as possible.
Another new technique I had wanted to try was to create an elastic casing for the bra band. What I learned is that it is extremely difficult to make a narrow elastic band with clean finishing! I wanted an itty bitty 1/2″ band and it was impossible to encase the cups in the 1/2″ casing and then turn the bralette right side out. I actually tore the band fabric the first time I attempted to set the band.
Without going into too much detail (because there’s a tutorial forthcoming), I managed to set the band on my second try.
This is the first iteration of what I think will be a staple triangle bralette style in my closet. I envision that this style will work quite well with silky/satiny fabrics with slight stretch to them.
I also made the elastic too short…will add about 1″ – 1.5″ of elastic to the band when I make the second iteration.
This red/green/off-white lace is from a Merckwaerdigh Bra Kit that I bought a long time ago. I loved the lace so much that I actually bought two of the same kits so I could have more of this lace. I used some over a year ago to make this Watson Bra, and then I hoarded it away for a worthy project. I finally pulled it out from my stash this year to make this set.
The bralette pattern is the same as the balconette bralette styles found here and here. The hi waisted underwear pattern is the same as this pair here. The only change I made to the underwear pattern is to make the gusset narrower.
Bra Pattern: Self Drafted Underwear Pattern: Self Drafted