Hi guys, I’m back today with a dropped bridge underwire bra. As previously mentioned, I personally do not wear underwire bras but I find them technically challenging and I always learn new bra making techniques sewing them so I like making them for my friends and family.
I am all about itty bitty thin straps and narrow bands, but that’s not always possible when you make bras for larger cup sizes. This particular bra is a 32DD. I started with the Marlborough Bra Pattern and kind of pattern hacked it to the point of beyond recognition.
Here are some techniques I got to try with this bra:
- Sewing and drafting a dropped bridge
- Adding a back strap extension
- Giving foldover elastic another try
So my ability to sew foldover elastic is hilariously bad, but I’ve always admired Erin‘s application of FOE on her bra projects (see gorgeous exhibits here, here, and here) and was inspired to give FOE another try. The FOE application is somewhat atrocious for this bra, but I can feel myself improving even after this one project so you may see more FOE in future bra projects!
I also tried a new technique to reinforce the bra hook and eye to the bra. I normally sew the bra hook and eye on with a straight stitch. This time, I also reinforced it by using the zig zag stitch and setting the stitch length to 0 and width to 2.5 to create this bar tack effect. It looks clean and professionally finished, so I think I might do this with all my bra hook and eyes form now on.
All materials used for this project came from my shop.