A partial band bra has been on my to-do list since I watched the chapter on partial band conversion in Beverly Johnson’s Sewing Bras: Designer Techniques Class on Craftsy.
In terms of personal aesthetics, I love partial bands on underwire bras. It makes the bra look more delicate and pretty in my opinion.
The mint lace I used for this bra is available in the form of a bra kit in my shop. The photos don’t do the lace justice–it’s a really pretty mint. The cups and the cradle are lined with bra tulle and the band in stretch mesh. The pattern used is Orange Lingerie’s Marlborough Bra.
So what do you think? Do you personally prefer full band or partial band on underwire bras? Share in the comments below.
The Maya Bra is free pattern offered by Ana of AFI. It is an underwire style with a 3-piece cup and sweetheart neckline. I don’t wear underwire bras, but I really enjoy making them. I’ve been meaning to make a Maya Bra since its release, but only got around to doing it now. Better late than never, right? 😛
I cut a 32C. I can’t comment on sizing until the recipient tries on the bra, but for reference she wears a 32C in the Watson Bra and a 32C in the Marlborough Bra with 1/2″ added to the back band.
Due to the fabric’s beautiful and unique print, I thought it would be really neat if I made matching hook and eyes for this bra. The result looks pretty good, but I think the floral charmeuse is too flimsy and will probably tear in a couple of wears. I will try it again with a stronger fabric.
If anyone is interested in how to make their own bra hook and eye, I can release a pattern and tutorial. Let me know. 🙂
Quick sewing dump update: I made a plum Watson Bra and some undies!
Recently I decided to try my hand at making underwear. These two pairs are my fourth and fifth ones. I have to say, making panties is pretty addicting because it’s instantly gratifying. Pattern for these undies are self-drafted. I will be sharing the pattern in a coming post!
2015 is quickly drawing to a close, and I am already in planning mode for 2016! Thank you for an amazing year with Tailor Made Shop. I love reading all the positive feedback for my shop so far and I hope to improve it further in 2016.
If you have five minutes, please take the time to take the Tailor Made Shop 2015 Feedback Survey. For your time, you will receive a 10% coupon code for completing the survey. The promo code can be redeemed from December 25th, 2015 to January 1st, 2016.
So Maddie kindly sent me a copy of her awesome bra pattern Sierra–thanks Maddie!–and I got the chance to make it up last night. It’s a really quick project and I have no doubt it will look good in a lot of fabric and laces! Expect lots of Sierras in the near future. 🙂
This self-drafted bralette is based on a perennial Helmut Lang offering.
The asymmetrical cut and strappy detail are right up my alley and I can see myself making it in a range of colors and prints.
This version is actually my third make and the most wearable one. There are still a few small tweaks that I need to make to the pattern for my next iteration. The lining has a tendency to roll out at the front neckline, so I will tack the lining down in the next one. The diagonal strap is about 1/2″ too long in this version so I will shorten it further. The hem is also not level all around. Other than that I think the next iteration will be pretty much perfect. (Although I’m sure there’s always something I can improve on.)
As I make more and more bras for myself, I’m starting to see that I prefer bralettes to underwire bras. I used to think that my ideal bra is a no-fuss black T-shirt bra with a partial band design. I’ve since come to realize that I don’t fit a standard underwire size and I don’t really need the support that underwires provide. Instead, I’ve started indulging in sewing strappy bralette designs. This is another go at Jazz Ro’s free bralette pattern (found here).
So this iteration actually looks way better on the dress form than it does on me. There’s excess fullness and slight gaping at the front neckline when I wear this bralette. The previous iteration fits better, and it may have to do the fact that I did not trim the seam allowance before lining up the edges of the cups with the scallop edge of the lace so the finished cups are slightly bigger than the previous version’s.
Changes to the Next Iteration: Pinch out the front neckline slightly to prevent gaping. Reduce fullness of princess seams slightly.
A couple of weeks ago, a reader left a comment expressing interest in a tutorial on how to enclose all the seams on a Watson Bra. This method relies on using lining fabric to enclose and trap the raw seams on the inside.